Which water filter should I buy?Shopping guide
The task of the water filter is not only to improve its taste but also to eliminate any harmful substances contained in it. The choice of such a device may, however, turn out to be quite problematic, since there are many types of models available on the market, ranging from free-standing ones to built-in devices.
For this reason, we have prepared for you a guide that will tell you which water filter to choose.
Why is it worth buying a water filter?
The filter is a device that will allow us to get rid of excess harmful substances contained in water that can have a negative effect on the human body. Tap water often has an unpleasant metallic aftertaste that is caused by a high content of chlorine. It not only affects the taste of drinking water but also the dishes and drinks we prepare.
What’s more, a large amount of chlorine is dangerous to our health. This applies not only to the kitchen but also to the bathroom, in which we brush our teeth and take a bath, as well as do the laundry.
In addition to chlorine, another problem is water hardness. It negatively affects kitchen and bathroom equipment, on which excessively deposits the stone, such as washing machine, kettle, and dishwasher. The hardness itself can be checked by commissioning a test in the laboratory or at home, using special paper indicators.
Therefore, it is important to check the water hardness in the apartment to extend the life of our home appliances. Soft water without chlorine will be much better, which will not only dry our skin during hand washing or bathing but will also save on cleaning agents.
This type of water is definitely more effective than hard water, because using a small number of detergents, such as washing up liquid or washing powder, we will achieve much better results. What’s more, such water, devoid of a metallic taste caused by a high content of chemical compounds, will be healthier for our body.
Types of water filters
Such a device should be selected according to your preferences. When buying a water filter, it is worth paying attention to the type of equipment and its properties.
There are models such as:
- kettles with a water filter
- automatic water filter
- for the fridge
- reverse osmosis and under counter.
To choose the best model, you need to know the characteristics of each type.
1.Kettle with a water filter
Such a device is the water filter most often chosen by consumers. It is effective and practical because it can be moved from place to place and does not require any assembly. It is also the cheapest proposition of all.
Separate filters inserted into such a kettle will last for a long time, providing us with clean and tasty water. However, they are not very efficient. They are only used to filter drinking and cooking water.
2.Automatic water filter
Automatic water filters are extremely practical devices that can be set up anywhere in our kitchen. They not only clean the water but also saturate it with deep infrared radiation, which effectively ionizes and gives the water proper nutrients.
The device is enclosed in a sealed housing that is resistant to mechanical damage. One compact filter will meet the needs of the entire home.
3.Water filter for the fridge with a water diffuser
Such devices are designed to remove all bacteria and viruses accumulating in the fridge. They are equipped with a carbon block obtained from coconut shells, which has the ability to absorb any impurities, including chlorine and iron.
This prevents harmful chemicals from settling on food stored in the fridge.
4.Reverse osmosis water filter
These types of models are one of the most effective water filters available on the market. Thoroughly remove biological contaminants, providing protection against viruses and bacteria. However, the membrane installed in this equipment tends to wear quickly due to the high concentration of chlorine and iron in the water.
For this reason, we recommend using additional sediment and carbon filter.
5.Undercounter water filter
It is the most designer and expensive solution. This type of equipment is installed under the sink, leaving only an elegant battery on the counter, different from a regular tap by an additional knob or display.
Which water filter is the best?
A good water filter is one that will meet all your expectations. It should deprive the water of all harmful substances such as chemical compounds – chlorine and eliminate its possible metallic aftertaste. When choosing a water filter, take into account the number of members of your household and the possibilities of our kitchen.
In the event that our kitchen is modest, it is worth buying a kettle with a built-in water filter. It will provide us with clean drinking water, and will not take up much space.
On the other hand, if the family is large, a better solution would be to install a special battery with under counter filter or an automatic model. This type of device will work for a large number of household members.
Water filters at good prices?
The price of water filters depends on the type and properties of the model. In the case of a kettle with a built-in cleaning system, the cost of such a purchase is from PLN 50. However, for a professional under-counter water filter with an elegant battery, or an automatic model, we have to pay up to several thousand zlotys.
The best water filters in 2020- Our Recommendation
A water filter is a practical device that will work in every kitchen. It is to clean the water of chlorine and other harmful chemicals. What’s more, its task is also to soften and ionize, so that we can enjoy tasty water throughout the day. Due to the different types of models available on the market, the choice of such equipment can be very problematic. For this reason, we have prepared for you a ranking of the best water filters.
We recommend buying the MAXTRA Brother. The product works by removing scale from the liquid, which not only has a good effect on our body, but also home appliances. Thanks to this, the inside of kettles and pots is not damaged, and we can forget about frequent descaling.
The advantage of the presented filter is that it removes any impurities that can negatively affect the taste of water, such as chlorine, lead, and copper. Unfortunately, these elements often occur in old water supply installations.
Their excess can affect our health, and a small amount will change the taste of your favorite coffee or tea. The service is very simple and what’s more, the product is 100% recyclable, so it doesn’t pollute the environment.
Consumers appreciated the low price of the product as well as its efficient operation. Thanks to the filter, you will be able to enjoy the delicious taste of water, coffee or tea. At the same time, the investment in the presented product is to increase the life of home appliances.
The Brita MAXTRA model is a very good water filter that is installed in kettles. After pouring in the liquid, it is cleaned of all dirt and unfriendly compounds.
- Operation : The filter has an easy way of replacement, which is its biggest advantage. This element has been profiled so that it can be removed or put into a jug with one hand.
- Effects on taste: Thanks to the presented model, we can influence the taste of drinking water. If you live in an old block of flats, there probably is an outdated plumbing system, which means that liquids such as copper and lead can get into the liquid, which significantly changes its taste. After filtering, the prepared coffee and tea are free of unpleasant smells.
- Performance: The filter is characterized by long-lasting and efficient work, which will certainly be appreciated by large families. One package contains 4 products that will allow us to use it for up to 2 months.
- Efficiency: The manufacturer has made every effort to provide its consumers with high work efficiency products. Immediately after installation, the filter is ready for use and removes all traces of scale that threatens not only the dishes but also our health.
- Price: Although it is not the cheapest model, its price should be praised. Note that the amount of PLN 69 applies to the entire packaging, in which there are as many as 4 filters.
Another proposition in the ranking is a good and cheap filter Logic Brita MAXTRA Unimax. It is a product that is intended for use with a pitcher of drinking water, using filters of brands such as Brita Maxtra, Dafi, Anna, Zelmer, Laica, Bi-Flux, Tassimo, Aquaphor, and Bosch.
This product has three separate layers that perform different functions. The first task is to prevent deposits from entering, such as sand or rust. The second one filters all iron, aluminum, etc. impurities.
The last layer eliminates the unpleasant chlorine smell and improves the taste of water. This model can be used for cold and warm water, and its durability is estimated at 150-200 liters of water.
Opinions about this product are very positive. Consumers appreciated it for its low price and manufacturer’s warranty – it has a PZH certificate.
A set of 4 Filter Logic filters is a very efficient product that is dedicated to jugs of many well-known manufacturers, such as Brita, Zelmer or Bosch.
- Water quality: After the filtration process, the water is free of scale, which can be seen inside the jugs – the amount of sediment is reduced. The water itself has a more delicate taste and remains odorless. Thanks to this, we will be able to prepare your favorite hot drink and enjoy its delicious taste.
- Performance: The filter is serviceable for a period of 4 to 6 weeks. This is a great convenience because the product presented is relatively cheap.
- Versatility: The manufacturer ensures that the presented model is compatible with pitchers from brands such as Brita, Laica, Dafi, Anna, Zelmer, Bosch, and Aquaphor.
- Price: The presented model is a good water filter up to 35 PLN, which has a large group of supporters. The set contains up to 4 elements, so the manufacturer’s price is very tempting.
- Working speed: The product is very accurate during filtering, so for some people, the pace of doing this may seem too slow. In 30 seconds – 40 sec, about 2 liters of water are purified.
The next product on our list is the Global WaterUniversal 10. It is a filter using a reverse osmosis system, which involves the penetration of water through a semi-permeable membrane. Its task is to separate impurities that are discharged into wastewater.
Thus, we get clean water that accumulates in a special pressure tank, mounted on the kitchen counter. This device has two functions: clean water, tasteless, for drinks and dishes prepared as well as slightly mineralized water, slightly saturated with minerals.
Such water will perfectly replace the bottled one. The filter itself is made of coconut, which gives the water a delicate, pleasant taste.
Opinions about this product are very flattering. Consumers value him for high quality. They also emphasize that reverse osmosis makes the water much tastier.
Modern water filter Global Water is a product designed for reverse osmosis. The device allows consumers to drink liquid directly from the tap without having to boil it first.
- Efficiency: Reverse osmosis is natural and consists of separating substances that have been dissolved in it from the liquid. This activity takes place without the use of chemicals, which is why the water is more oxygenated, which translates into taste and health.
- Assembly: Assembling the product is very easy and only takes a few minutes. It should be emphasized that this operation is performed only with the help of items included in the set.
- Water mineralization: During the filtering process, not only all bacteria and impurities are removed. Water is also mineralized, so it provides us with the necessary compounds. As a result, you no longer have to buy bottled water.
- Price: Although the model is efficient and purifies water very quickly, the purchase cost is about PLN 570.
Another water filter in our list is the 3m Aquafilter l, which will provide us with clean and tasty water in the kitchen. It is equipment that is easily and quickly mounted under the countertop, which will save us a lot of space in the kitchen.
What’s more, it is equipped with a special UF membrane and filter cartridges, whose task is to prevent the penetration of various deposits, such as sand or rust. What’s more, this device reduces the concentration of iron and chlorine in water, further softening it, which positively affects the taste and smell of the dishes we prepare.
In addition, the 3m Aqua Filter model is characterized by a modern design that will perfectly match the kitchen decor. This model is intended for use with both cold and hot water.
The manufacturer guarantees satisfaction with this product because it meets all quality standards and has the most important certificates. Opinions about this product are very positive. Consumers praise him for high-quality workmanship and cheap operation.
This water filter is very efficient equipment that is responsible for removing ingredients dissolved in a liquid that can threaten the health of the consumer or destroy his pots and dishes.
- Efficiency: During its work, the filter removes all impurities from the water. We include solid substances, i.e. sand and silt. In addition, it reduces the concentration of iron and reduces water hardness.
- Chlorine and pesticides are removed with the help of a carbon insert. Due to the work of the model, drinking water has a much better taste, and what is more, it does not threaten consumers. Eating dirty liquids can lead to serious health problems and damage your pots.
- Security: The presented model is NSF, WRAS certified and meets ISO 9001 production standards, so consumers can be sure that its operation is completely safe.
- Weight: The weight of all equipment is over 5 kg, so carrying it can be inconvenient for many people.
How to make a water filter?
Thanks to special filters, the contaminated water becomes safe to drink and can be poured into kettles or other devices without damaging them. Sometimes, however, there are situations when we can not use this type of product, e.g. at camping.
How to deal with this situation? We’ve gathered some tips on this topic. We have also included information about which water filter is recommended by specialists and why it is worth using it.
Why do we need water filters?
Water is easily available, but often also very polluted, so drinking it can lead to health problems. For this reason, it is worth getting a special jug with a filter that will stop all particles of dirt or bacteria.
Every day, ground and surface waters are contaminated with various chemical compounds that can have a negative impact on the health condition of humans and animals. It is worth remembering that water reservoirs evaporate in the event of high temperatures, and during this process dirt particles also float. When the water vapor condenses and returns to the ground in the form of precipitation, so-called polluted watercourses. Because of this, water flowing from the tap often requires thorough filtration, but still, a few of us remember it.
What do we need to make a water filter?
To prepare the water filter yourself, which we will use for camping or holiday trips, we will need:
- plastic bottle (of any capacity);
- piece of fabric;
- gravel (possibly small stones);
- charcoal (for lighting the grill).
Contrary to appearances, collecting all the items you need is not too troublesome, because most of them will certainly be with us on the camping or we will easily find them.
How to make a water filter?
To make your own water filter, we need to cut the bottom of the bottle and make a large hole in the cork. We put the found fabric into layers and put it into the neck, then cover it with crushed coal, and then with sand.
At the top, there should be a layer of gravel or pebbles (depending on what we were able to find). All you have to do is pour water into the filter and wait until it is filtered. You need to boil it later to make sure it is safe to drink.
The construction of the filter is simple, but its operation is very effective. The fabric filters the smallest dirt particles, carbon pollution of organic origin, and sand – those slightly larger. The role of sand is to retain the largest particles in the water. In this way, we can filter dirty or biologically contaminated water.
We should not pour the chemical contaminated liquid into the filter, as sand or fabric will not retain harmful substances. Drinking such water can lead to sudden deterioration of health, and sometimes even death.
What do you need to remember when making a filter?
Although making the filter is not difficult, the effectiveness of its operation largely depends on our precision. All layers should be laid carefully and made sure that they completely fill the bottle. Otherwise, it may happen that some particles will remain in the water and then end up in our bodies.
Such a filter can be made from 0.5 l as well as 5 l bottles. What matters is how much-filtered water we need. If necessary, our construction can be further expanded by putting gauze on the top layer of pebbles. It will act as a pre-filter.
Meet Jeffrey B Roberts, your dedicated guide into the realm of water science and technology. As a hydro biologist with an insatiable curiosity, Jeffrey’s journey has been one of unraveling the mysteries of water systems and advocating for clean, safe water for all.
With an academic background steeped in the sciences, Jeffrey’s passion lies at the crossroads of science, technology, and nature. A deep fascination with plants and genetics has not only enriched their understanding of aquatic ecosystems but has also propelled them into the world of water softening solutions.
Believing that clean water is a basic human right, Jeffrey’s writing transcends the technicalities, making the intricate world of water softening accessible to all. Through their blog, they ardently share insights, tips, and breakthroughs, empowering readers to make informed decisions about their water quality.
Beyond his role as a prolific writer, Jeffrey is a respected figure in the hydronics industry education. With years of hands-on experience, they serve as an adjunct professor, nurturing the next generation of experts at the Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology. His involvement on the Technical Advisory Board further cements their dedication to pushing the boundaries of innovation in water technology.