Last Updated on September 8, 2023 by Jeffrey B Roberts
Although the Brita water filter is the best way to ensure clean and safe drinking water, sometimes it may malfunction. The most common issue is when the indicator light does not work correctly. If you’ve noticed that your Brita water filter light isn’t working, you may wonder what could be causing the issue. Fortunately, a few potential causes can easily be identified and resolved.
What Is The Brita Filter Light Indicator?
The Brita Filter light indicator is integral to the Brita water filter system. This light visually indicates when it’s time to change your filter cartridge, ensuring you always have access to fresh drinking water. A small LED light on top of your filtration device glows red to tell you when to replace your filter.
When the light illuminates, you have used up the maximum capacity of your filter and need to change it. Replacing the cartridge frequently will ensure your water remains safe for drinking and use in food preparation.
How Does the Brita Pitcher Electronic Indicator Work?
- Brita faucet filter: The Brita filter uses a small red light indicator to let you know when the filter needs to be replaced. To use the indicator, press the button on the top of the filter housing. The light will change color depending on how much water has been filtered. If the light stays green, then your filter is still functioning correctly. If the light turns yellow, it is time to replace the filter.
- Brita pitcher: The Brita pitcher has an electronic indicator on its lid that signals when your filter needs to be replaced. Hold the button when installing a new filter and wait for the light to turn green. This indicates that your filter is fresh and ready to use. As you use the filter, the light will gradually turn yellow and then red when it is time to replace your filter.
Why do Brita Filter Indicator Lights Stop Working?
1. The power supply is disconnected: If the power supply to your filter is accidentally disconnected, this could cause your filter light not to work. To check if this is the problem, ensure the power cord is correctly connected to a wall outlet and power strip.
2. The Filter needs to be replaced: If it has passed its recommended lifespan (usually every three months or 150 gallons), it needs to be replaced. The filter light will not work if the filter is not correctly installed or has reached its lifespan. To replace the filter, open the lid of your Brita pitcher, remove the old filter, and insert a new one.
3. The power switch is off: Most Brita filters have an on/off switch near the power cord, so if your filter light doesn’t turn on, check to ensure the switch is in the “on” position.
What Do Lights On Brita Filter Mean?
- Green: The light will glow green to indicate that your filter is correctly installed and it is time to replace it.
- Red: When the red light illuminates, you must replace the water filter for optimal performance. This typically happens after every 2-4 months of use.
- Yellow: The yellow light indicates that a filter change is not necessary yet, but will soon be needed. You should replace your filter shortly after the yellow light has been on for 30 days.
What to Do if Your Brita Light Indicator Stops Working?
Solution 1: Reset the Indicator: If your Brita filter indicator light stops working, the first step is to try resetting it. Unplug your Brita water filter from the power source and plug it back in. The indicator should now start working again.
- Step 1: Press the red button: If resetting the indicator does not work, you can try pressing the red button on the side of your Brita filter. This will cause the light to blink and indicate that it needs to be replaced.
- Step2: Hold for three seconds: Once you’ve pressed the button, hold it for three seconds.
- Step 3: Release the reset button: After three seconds, release the reset button. The Brita filter indicator light should now be lit up and working again. It may take a few tries to get it functioning correctly.
Solution 2: Check Brita Warranty: If the water filter light is not working due to a product malfunction, Brita might fix or replace the product free of charge. Check your Brita warranty for more information about how to get help with a malfunctioning product.
Solution 3: Check Batteries or Power Source: If the Brita water filter light is still not working even after a thorough cleaning, it may be a power issue. Check to ensure that the batteries are correctly inserted and still have power. If you use a power adapter, ensure it is plugged into an outlet and working correctly. If the issue persists, try replacing the batteries or testing your power source with another appliance to ensure it is functioning correctly.
Solution 4: Contact Customer Service: If you have tried all the other solutions, it may be time to contact customer service for assistance. You can find the contact information on Brita’s website or by calling their toll-free number. Customer service should be able to provide guidance and help determine if there is an issue with your unit that needs to be addressed. As a last resort, you may need to return the unit for a replacement or repair.
What Happens When The Brita Filter Indicator Not Working?
If the internal filter indicator light on your Brita water pitcher is not working, the filter must be replaced. The filter indicator light will typically turn green or red when a new filter is needed.
If you do not replace the filter in time, then filtered drinking water will no longer be dispensed and can lead to decreased performance of the filter itself. It is important to remember that even if the filter indicator light is not working, your Brita water pitcher will continue to filter out impurities from tap water.
Can You Still Use The Brita Water Filter If the Light Is Not Working?
Yes, you can still use the Brita water filter if the light is not working. The filter light only serves as an indicator to let you know when it’s time to replace your filter. It does not affect the performance of your filter and does not indicate any malfunction with your system. You should replace your Brita filter after 40 gallons or every 2 to 3 months. If the amount of water filtered decreases, it’s time to replace the filter regardless of what the indicator light says.
Can you replace the battery?
Yes, the battery of a Brita water filter light can easily be replaced.
How often do you change your Brita water filter?
The Brita Water Filter Light is designed to indicate when the filter needs to be changed, but if it has stopped working, it’s time for a new filter.
Do Brita tap water filters fit all faucets?
Most Brita water filters come with an adjustable filter that makes them compatible with most standard faucets. However, the Brita On Tap Faucet Water Filter System is designed to fit standard and nonstandard sink configurations.
How long do faucet water filters last?
The lifespan of faucet water filters, such as the Brita filter, typically depends on the type of filter and how often it is used. Most filters are designed to last up to three months or 100 gallons.
Why is my Brita filter flushing red after the filter change?
If your Brita filter is flashing red after a filter change, this likely indicates that the filter is not inserted correctly. This can happen if the filter is installed backward or isn’t firmly pressed into place. To resolve this issue, ensure that the base of the filter is secured into the neck of the pitcher and that you can’t see any gaps between the filter and the pitcher. Additionally, make sure that the O-ring is correctly in place to ensure a snug fit.
Which filters do I use for my Brita pitcher?
To determine which filter you should use, check the markings on the side of your filter pitcher. The Brita Standard Filter is marked with a black circle, and the Advanced filter is marked with a green diamond.
The Brita water filter light not working can be a symptom of a more significant problem, so if the manual reset does not fix it, you may need to contact customer support or replace the unit. If it is determined that your unit needs to be replaced, make sure to use only genuine Brita replacement parts for optimum performance and reliability.
Brita is a trusted brand regarding home water filtration systems despite this minor issue. You can rest assured knowing that you are getting high-quality results and long-lasting performance with a Brita filter. Your Brita water filter should give you many years of safe and clean drinking water with proper maintenance and care.
Meet Jeffrey B Roberts, your dedicated guide into the realm of water science and technology. As a hydro biologist with an insatiable curiosity, Jeffrey’s journey has been one of unraveling the mysteries of water systems and advocating for clean, safe water for all.
With an academic background steeped in the sciences, Jeffrey’s passion lies at the crossroads of science, technology, and nature. A deep fascination with plants and genetics has not only enriched their understanding of aquatic ecosystems but has also propelled them into the world of water softening solutions.
Believing that clean water is a basic human right, Jeffrey’s writing transcends the technicalities, making the intricate world of water softening accessible to all. Through their blog, they ardently share insights, tips, and breakthroughs, empowering readers to make informed decisions about their water quality.
Beyond his role as a prolific writer, Jeffrey is a respected figure in the hydronics industry education. With years of hands-on experience, they serve as an adjunct professor, nurturing the next generation of experts at the Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology. His involvement on the Technical Advisory Board further cements their dedication to pushing the boundaries of innovation in water technology.