Hydrogen and alkaline water are two types of drinking water that have become popular among health-conscious individuals. They both have unique benefits, but there are also some crucial differences between them. Alkaline water has a higher pH level than regular drinking water. It is typically made by adding minerals such as calcium, potassium, magnesium, and sodium to the water to raise its pH level. The minerals help neutralize natural acids in the body, promoting better health.
Hydrogen water, on the other hand, has been infused with molecular hydrogen. This form of water is made by bubbling molecular hydrogen gas through purified water. The bubbles become trapped in the water, providing an additional source of hydration and a powerful antioxidant effect. Hydrogen water can help reduce inflammation and oxidative stress, which may lead to better overall health.
What Is Hydrogen Water?
Hydrogen water is simply water that has hydrogen gas dissolved into it. Additionally, hydrogen water requires an electrolysis machine that uses electricity to split H2O molecules into oxygen and hydrogen atoms, creating a mixture of oxygenated and hydrogen-rich water.
What Is Alkaline Water And How Is It Created?
Alkaline water is created when pH is raised by adding alkaline minerals, such as calcium or magnesium, to regular drinking water. This results in a higher pH level ranging from 7.5 to 8.5 on the pH scale (neutral being 7). Alkaline water usually has a slightly sweet taste due to its mineral content. It is thought that drinking alkaline water can help balance the body’s pH level and reduce acidity, which may provide health benefits such as improved digestion and better hydration. Alkaline water can help neutralize free radicals in the body, boosting overall immunity.
Difference Between Hydrogen Water And Alkaline Water
Hydrogen water and alkaline water are both forms of enhanced water. Both promise to offer health benefits, but they work in different ways. Here’s a quick breakdown of the differences between hydrogen and alkaline water:
- pH Level: Hydrogen water has a neutral pH level (7), while alkaline water has a higher pH level (over 7).
- Health Benefits: Hydrogen water is thought to offer antioxidant benefits, while alkaline water may help neutralize the acid in the body.
- Taste: Hydrogen water tastes like regular H2O, while alkaline water tastes slightly bitter.
- Source: Hydrogen water generally comes from electrolysis, while alkaline water is usually sourced through reverse osmosis.
- Cost: Hydrogen water can be more expensive than alkaline water due to the technology needed to produce it.
- Components: Hydrogen water has a high ratio of hydrogen. At the same time, alkaline water contains a high amount of calcium and magnesium hydroxide.
Benefits Of Drinking Alkaline Water
- A boosted immune system: Alkaline water is said to have antioxidant properties that can help neutralize free radicals in the body, which are known to cause cell damage. It may also reduce acidity in your body and create an environment where it’s difficult for bacteria and viruses to thrive.
- Weight loss: Hydrogen water is naturally calorie-free, making it an ideal choice for those looking to cut back on sugar and lose weight. It can also help with satiety, so you feel fuller longer. On the other hand, alkaline water contains minerals that can add calories quickly. Additionally, alkaline water may make it easier for your body to absorb certain nutrients from food, which could increase your daily caloric intake.
- Cancer prevention: Hydrogen water has been studied for its potential anti-cancer properties. In a study conducted in Japan, mice given hydrogen water had reduced tumors compared to those who did not. Alkaline water is also thought to have some cancer-protective benefits, but the research on this is still ongoing.
- Balanced pH levels in the body: Hydrogen water is said to help balance the pH levels in the body as it contains an active form of hydrogen. Alkaline water also helps to balance the body’s pH levels due to its high alkalinity, which can help neutralize acids and provide a more balanced environment for optimal health.
- Increased energy: Hydrogen water has been found to contain far more hydrogen than alkaline water. This additional hydrogen can boost energy levels, enhance athletic performance and improve mental clarity.
- Faster muscle recovery: Hydrogen water has been known to help enhance faster muscle recovery, reduce inflammation, and increase energy production. On the other hand, alkaline water is more effective at neutralizing acidity in the body and improving overall health.
- A decrease in acid reflux symptoms: Hydrogen water has been shown to have an alkalizing effect on the body, which can reduce symptoms of acid reflux. On the other hand, conventional alkaline water can increase overall pH levels but may not relieve symptoms related to acid reflux.
Benefits of Hydrogen Water
- Antioxidant Benefits: Hydrogen water is a powerful antioxidant because it neutralizes free radicals and reduces oxidative stress. This can help protect cells from damage and support healthy aging.
- Helps People with Metabolic Syndrome: Hydrogen water benefits people with metabolic syndrome by reducing inflammation and improving insulin sensitivity. On the other hand, alkaline water has not been found to affect metabolic syndrome symptoms.
- Combats Muscle Fatigue: Alkaline water is believed to reduce muscle fatigue after exercise due to its buffering capacity, which helps maintain an optimal pH level of the body. This makes it especially beneficial for athletes who experience intense physical activity. On the other hand, hydrogen water has been promoted as a beverage that can help combat oxidative stress from free radicals in the body, reducing inflammation and improving exercise performance.
Should You Get Alkaline Water Or Hydrogen Water?
When deciding between hydrogen water and alkaline water, the main difference is in their pH levels. Alkaline water has a pH level above 7 (usually between 8 and 9), while hydrogen water typically has a neutral or slightly acidic pH of 6-7. Alkaline water also contains ionized minerals such as calcium and magnesium, while hydrogen water does not.
Alkaline water is believed to help balance the body’s pH levels, which may reduce inflammation and acid reflux. It is also purported to improve digestion, detoxification, and hydration. In contrast, hydrogen water is thought to boost energy levels due to its high concentration of molecular hydrogen. It is also believed to reduce inflammation, improve immune and cardiovascular health, and protect against oxidative stress.
Is hydrogen water better than regular water?
Hydrogen water has been shown to have some potential health benefits, as it contains higher amounts of molecular hydrogen, which has antioxidant properties and could help reduce inflammation. On the other hand, there is no scientific evidence that normal water is terrible for you or lacks beneficial elements.
What is the benefit of consuming ionized alkaline water?
Alkaline water is rich in minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, and sodium. It has a higher PH than regular tap water, making it more alkaline. This makes it easier for the body to absorb minerals and other beneficial compounds. It also helps to neutralize acidity in the body and can provide powerful antioxidant protection.
What is the best alkaline water to drink?
The best alkaline water to drink is determined by personal preference. Many people swear by the health benefits of drinking hydrogen-rich water, which has a pH between 8 and 9.5 and contains very high levels of molecular hydrogen gas.
How does ionized alkaline water taste?
Ionized alkaline water is often described as having a smooth, refreshing taste. It is usually less bitter or acidic than regular drinking water because it has a higher pH level and lower acidity. This means that when you drink it, you may be able to taste the minerals it contains, such as calcium and magnesium.
What does hydrogen water cost?
The cost of hydrogen water depends on the type and source. It is typically more expensive than regular drinking water but cheaper than alkaline water. Many companies sell pre-bottled hydrogen water for convenience, with prices ranging from $2 to $5 per bottle, depending on the size and brand.
There are several differences between hydrogen-rich and alkaline water. Hydrogen water has higher levels of molecular hydrogen than alkaline water, which helps to neutralize free radicals in the body. Alkaline water is processed with minerals like calcium, potassium, and magnesium to bring pH balance to the body. Hydrogen-rich and alkaline water can offer potential health benefits, but choosing the right one is essential. Ultimately, both types of water are great options for improved hydration and overall health.
Meet Jeffrey B Roberts, your dedicated guide into the realm of water science and technology. As a hydro biologist with an insatiable curiosity, Jeffrey’s journey has been one of unraveling the mysteries of water systems and advocating for clean, safe water for all.
With an academic background steeped in the sciences, Jeffrey’s passion lies at the crossroads of science, technology, and nature. A deep fascination with plants and genetics has not only enriched their understanding of aquatic ecosystems but has also propelled them into the world of water softening solutions.
Believing that clean water is a basic human right, Jeffrey’s writing transcends the technicalities, making the intricate world of water softening accessible to all. Through their blog, they ardently share insights, tips, and breakthroughs, empowering readers to make informed decisions about their water quality.
Beyond his role as a prolific writer, Jeffrey is a respected figure in the hydronics industry education. With years of hands-on experience, they serve as an adjunct professor, nurturing the next generation of experts at the Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology. His involvement on the Technical Advisory Board further cements their dedication to pushing the boundaries of innovation in water technology.